Setting Your Practice Up For Unlimited Referrals!
If you provide your patients something worth sharing, you have a community BUZZ about you. That is the ultimate key to more referrals. Your patients need to be able to share their stories with you and others in order to referral their family and friends.
I am sure you would agree the most powerful form of marketing is referrals! Referrals represent trust, respect and patient confidence in you. And from a business perspective, its free business that you didn’t have to buy in order to grow your practice.
Notice I put the word buy in bold. Why did I do that?
Simply because there are two forms of marketing; you either earn your patients with referrals and word of mouth marketing or you buy them with external marketing, like newspaper ads, post cards, radio, etc. Earned media means you didn’t spend a dime to generate that patient, they found out about you because you produce results for your patients. That is awesome.
Yet, far too many doctors hope for more referrals without a system for it, or they rely on referrals and. I find this to be a place of vulnerability, because either way you can feel dependent on someone else brining in business for you.
Last weekend I spent 3 hours with a few doctors talking about referral strategies. Invariable, they all agreed that some months they receive several referrals and some months are slow. They also agreed with me when I said, “You don’t have control over your patients, what they say and when they decide to refer. It is not their job to bring you business.”
Isn’t that true? It isn’t your patient’s job to make sure you succeed and bring in business for you. The question then becomes, “Why are some months full of referrals and some months are slow?” You cannot control when the referrals come in or if patients are actively referring, can you?
The answer is a mystery. Who knows why! What I can tell you is that referrals are a matter of influence. You have to have several influential factors set up in your practice so that you can rely on your referrals in order to your projected new patient goals. Until then, it’s hard to rely on referrals until such influence is put into place to stimulate them and more of them.
Here are some keys to generating referrals that most doctors and staff do not know!
• Referrals happen naturally; when the patient feels confident in you, trust you. This way when they refer someone the patient won’t feel that have given a bad referral to their friend or family member. What do you and your staff, actively have in place to influence confidence and trust?
• Patients must talk about their experience in care with you. This way they can share and enroll other people into wanting to come see you. Do you actively spend enough time with patients to draw out their feelings, results and accomplishments from the care they received?
• Patients do not necessarily refer to you because of the wonderful education you give them, they refer because they have an experience to share, a story to tell. Do you share with patients how to refer?
• Rarely will a patient tell someone, “Hey feel my neck, it’s NOT subluxated anymore, and you should see my Chiropractor”. Da! They say, “Since I started seeing Dr. X, my stress at work has diminished, my husband is being so kind and wonderful and my migraines are gone.” Are you connecting the dots? How Chiropractic effects and impacts their personal life?
• Future patients will listen to a referring source because it wipes out their fears or concerns. They have “proof and permission” that it’s a good thing to see Dr. X. Are you offering information or the ability for your patients to refer to you?
Increasing the number of referrals is a matter of a few things:
Does the patient have something other than a business card to give to a referral?
Does the patient have an experience or story to share with others? This is your job; help the patient share with you how Chiropractic has impacted their body, their life, their work, their hobbies and passion. That instantly gives them something powerful to share with others.
Are you actively communicating to your patients in a way that build trust, respect and meet the patient’s basis human needs? Like love, connection, security, humor? If you are, then they will want to be appreciated for referring and seeing their names on the board for “Patients that Referred.”
Are you actively sharing success stories of referred patients in your office and marketing? Success stories in marketing sell better than anything else. Every day when people walk into my client’s office, they receive a success story, and they see that it’s because someone referred this patient.
People want to refer and want to see that the person they referred is healthy and happy. This stimulates more of them. Most doctors’ fail and getting their referring patients to see how amazing they for referring and helping the patient realize they did an honorable and great thing for another person.
These are a few ideas that I have been using with my clients. At the end of the day, most Chiropractic offices I have seen, simply are not set up for referrals, or a referral only practice that can generate 20+ earned patients monthly. But they think they are. If you are set up, then, you can confidently predict and rely on how many referral you will receive next month.
If you’re not earning, 75% of your patients, meaning, 75% of your patients are NOT coming to you naturally, without having to buy them, then it would be a good idea for you to have a GAP Analysis with me. Go to www.authoritychiropractic.com/gap and register for a complimentary session that will show you specifically how to close the gap between where you are financially and patient wise and where you want to be, in a 30 minute session.